Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Artist Statetment

     In the past four years that I have been here at the Boston Arts Academy I have grown so much as an artist. I came into BAA not knowing all of the amazing art pieces that I could create with different types of media. With risk taking and exploring new media that were introduced to me I was able to develop art work that I am proud of. My process over time has changed dramatically in the planning and creation of an art project. I take the time to do thumbnails in different compositions to see which one is the best, most appealing and interesting. As I work I stand back to look at my work, because I have learned that you can't really see the way an art piece looks by being so close up.
     I used to steer myself away from messing up and starting over, by not doing things I knew nothing about. As I learned and grew in my art I saw that starting over is okay because it lead me to learning new techniques and another way of approaching and art piece. There is the process of jumping into the piece and then there is the process of planning out, drawing it out. Each way has given me something new to hold onto and use in my new art piece. Here in the art department we are taught that there is no such thing as failure when? making mistakes. I didn't believe this at first but now I understand that the things that I had called mistakes are just practice pieces, making me ready for the next art project.
    In my senior year I have chosen to really step outside my comfort zone, trying new media such as making art on the computer. I developed three symbolic pieces, each telling a story about a part of my life. The one thing that I really admire about art is the way I am able to tell a story visually. I learned being successful in art is not based on whether the art piece is good or not but what lesson you take from the process. To succeed is accepting the piece as it is and knowing I tried my best, that I put in all the time and effort I possibly could.
    I hope that as I move on to college that I will continue to do art, even if I do not major in it. I want to never forget what I can create and tell such beautiful stories, to connect to other types of art as I do with visual art, to be able to know that I can be successful in anything, if I am willing to learn and accept things the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment